Wednesday, January 16, 2008

ANNOUNCEMENTS/LINKS FOR THURSDAY

I promised links to Thursday's readings on The Principles of Journalism. They are:
-- The Principles themselves
-- The ASNE Statement of Principles
-- Bill Kovach's words to the wise

--

DUE THURSDAY:
A 400-word profile of me, your professor, that includes at least one direct quote from me and one direct quote from someone who knows me. The student who includes the most obscure fact wins a prize.

--

The syllabus is now available on Blackboard.

--

I failed to get a list of all of your preferred e-mails so I haven't invited all of you to post on the blog yet. I will do that next class.

--

I will be taking your photos next class so that I can learn your names. I will ask if I can post these on the blog. Think about it.

--

I am checking into the availability of the text book. If it's not in yet, I will make every effort to post the text readings on e-reserves.

--

Check out the Washington Post (hereafter referred to as simply "the Post") story on The Wire. We'll discuss it in class. It's all about the contentious debate over the death of newspapers. You'll be hearing a lot about that this semester! www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/15/AR2008011503933.html
--

Also, check out these Katie Couric outtakes. We will be doing broadcast this semester!


--

Many of the links in this post will give you lots of ideas for sites from which to get RSS feeds.

--

I will see everyone in class! If you weren't there on Monday you missed a riveting review of the syllabus and a failed attempt to show video!

--

Below, see Weekly Highlights from the Reporting Class Syllabus:

THE QUOTES ON THE FRONT PAGE -- from "noble calling" to Matt Taibbi's shocking take on the profession (Yes, he really said it.)

Journalism is a noble calling. The working journalist is to report,

write and explain in accordance with the highest standards of the profession.
--World Journalism Institute

Despite everything, journalism remains a noble calling.
-- Jim Risser, director emeritus of the Knight Fellowships.

Dealing with the media is more difficult than bathing a leper.
--Mother Teresa

I don't so much mind that newspapers are dying. It's watching them commit suicide that pisses me off.
--Molly Ivins

If you have no real knowledge or skill set and you’re lazy and full of shit but you want to make a decent wage, then journalism’s not a bad career option. –Matt Taibbi, Rolling Stone reporter.

No comments: